In this post, we introduce you to Rachel Biggs. Rachel runs Bushcraft Adventures with Steph. As well as being an instructor, Rachel focuses on marketing and business development.
Keep reading to learn more about Rachel.
About Rachel Biggs
Rachel grew up in Northamptonshire. She worked on her parent’s market stall at weekends and school holidays. This experience led her to want to run her own business. Drawn to the city, Rachel went to University in Manchester. She moved house many times after University. But moved to Wales in 2007 where she has put down roots.
Career history in a nutshell
- Weetabix. Rachel started out her career on the Weetabix graduate scheme. She started in sales, then moved to a head office role. She worked for the company for almost two years, then pursued a career in the Third Sector.
- Voluntary Action Cardiff (now C3SC) This was Rachel’s first role in the Third Sector. Her role involved building strategic relationships between the statutory and third sector in Cardiff.
- Cardiff Citizens Advice Bureau. Rachel managed a team of approx 70 volunteers, who provided advice to people on their rights.
- Macmillan Cancer Support. Rachel joined Macmillan in 2011 and still works part-time for the charity. She works across Wales and the west Midlands in her role as a Volunteering Improvement Adviser. Her role is like HR support, but for Volunteer Managers.
Key qualifications and courses
- BSc Business Management (marketing) – 2.1 at UMIST
- ILM Level 5 Certificate in Managing Volunteers
- Effective Facilitation Skills – accredited by Agored Cymru
- Archery GB qualified Archery Instructor
- Attended First Aid, bushcraft, Train the Trainer, coaching courses and more
Fun facts about Rachel
- She’s a reluctant runner. Rachel started running in 2016 and wanted a challenge so she signed up for the Cardiff half marathon. She did it in 2016 and 2017. And despite saying she wouldn’t do it again, she’s already signed up for 2018!
- Rachel loves animals. She has volunteered at elephant, penguin and monkey sanctuaries in Sri Lanka and South Africa
- She loves chilli – a bit too much!
- Rachel loves being outdoors. She particularly loves walking, especially with her dog, and snowboarding
- Rachel loves taking photos and is keen to improve her photography skills
So, to find out more about Bushcraft Adventures visit our About Us page.