In this post, we want to introduce you to Steph Thompson. Steph runs Bushcraft Adventures with Rachel. Steph set up Bushcraft Adventures, and is the lead instructor.
About Steph Thompson
Steph grew up in Belfast. She came to study in Wales in 1996, and has stayed ever since. Most of her career has been in Third Sector organisations.
She set up Bushcraft Adventures in 2012 after she was made redundant. Whilst running a small business has its challenges, she loves the freedom of being her own boss. Keep reading to learn more about Steph.
Career history in a nutshell
- Community Music Wales. Steph started out in this small Cardiff-based charity as an admin assistant.
- Gwent ISSP. Steph was employed by the Local Authority as a mentor for young offenders.
- Duke of Edinburgh’s Award (DoE) Steph was a Development Officer, working with young offenders in South Wales.
- Cardiff County Council. Alongside her day job, Steph was a youth worker. She ran a youth club in Creigiau on Wednesday evenings.
- BTCV (now TCV). Steph was a Community Development Officer at BTCV for five years. She worked on various local projects from allotments and developing green spaces to delivering Forest School sessions. She also organised BTCV’s annual large-scaled event Spring Into Action at Margam Country Park. It is in this role that Steph developed her skills and passion for bushcraft and outdoor learning.
Key qualifications and courses
- Post Graduate Award in Arts Management – Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama
- BA (hons) History and Theory of Art and Design – 2.1 at UWIC
- OCN Level 3 Forest Schools Leader Award
- OCN Level 3 Beach Schools Leader Award
- Bushcraft competency certificate training
- OCN Level 3 Introduction to Youth and Community Work and Foundation in Youth and Community Work
- Archery GB qualified Archery Instructor
- Attended courses in: First Aid, food hygeine, health and safety and more.
Fun facts about Steph Thompson
- Steph is a bit obsessed about planes. She’s currently reading ‘how to land a plane’. And has even had a go in a flight simulator. But she hates flying!
- Her favourite picnic spot is Barafundle Bay, especially on a quiet day (but ssh, don’t tell anyone!)
- She loves cooking and trying new recipes. She has an extensive collection of cookery books.
- Steph loves being outdoors. She enjoys walking her dog. And goes snowboarding every year. She is learning to ski at the moment. But she doesn’t live outdoors in the woods, as she often gets asked at kid’s parties!
To find out more about Bushcraft Adventures visit our About Us page.