Pupils are ‘stranded’ in a woodland in Bridgend, and must work together as a team to survive.
Based on the book Castaway or Michael Morpurgo’s award-winning book Kensuke’s Kingdom about a boy who gets washed up on an island in the Pacific.
Pupils will learn what we need to survive. Including how to light a fire to stay warm, cook food and keep away animals. Build shelters to stay warm and dry (which we’ll test with our watering can if the Welsh weather lets us down and it isn’t raining!) We’ll learn how to source water and purify it so we can drink it. And we’ll explore the basics of foraging for food.
Pupils can use our lovely undercover seating areas to start writing about their experiences. Or they could draw story boards, or practice their IT skills by making videos on school I-pads. We’ll use the outdoors to bring the Castaway story to life and encourage creative thinking and creative writing. This is a great way to inspire young minds.
This session structure also works well for other themes. For example: camping, the great outdoors, and going on an adventure to other countries.
- Age: 7+
- Group size: One class (or two classes if doing half days) Ideally we would suggest one day for one class.
- Teacher / adult supervision: 2 to 3 adults needed to supervise
- Length of sessions: half day or full day
- Venue details: our site in Bridgend or within your school grounds if suitable
- Location details: if holding the session at your school, we travel within the Cardiff, Bridgend, RCT and Vale of Glamorgan areas
- Cost: please visit our outdoor learning page for info on cost